AFFORDABLE POTTERY MAKING CLASSES OR STUDIO USE
Are you interested in learning how to create your own finished piece of glazed pottery? Or, if you have experience, do you need a place to throw, glaze, and kiln-fire your pottery? Nathaneal Huffman Pottery now offers both options.
Nathaneal Huffman has a bachelor of fine arts degree. He has been making pottery for 6 years, and has operated his pottery business for 5 years. He has widely exhibited and sold his pottery at juried and non-juried art shows and festivals around Texas, locally in Corpus Christi at art markets and fairs, and at a local gallery.
He operates a fully functional home-based ceramics studio for mixing, throwing, and glazing stoneware clay. There are two electric throwing wheels and a large stock of glaze chemicals. He makes his own clay from raw materials. The studio is air conditioned. He primarily uses an outdoor propane-fired kiln for bisque and glaze firing stoneware pottery pieces.
Nathaneal Huffman Pottery offers two basic options for use of the studio or for beginning pottery classes.
• All sessions must be scheduled by advance notice and pre-paid.
• If participants are under the age of 18 years, they must be accompanied by a parent or guardian at all times. Parents will not be charged additional for the sessions.
• There is a maximum of two participants for each session (not including parents).
• Nathaneal will be the instructor for all sessions and will be present at all times while the studio is in use by participants.
• All sessions will be scheduled at the convenience of the instructor, students, or studio users.
• All pieces produced can be fired in the studio’s kiln.
(1) STUDIO USE ONLY- BEGINNER OR INTERMEDIATE
a. BEGINNER STUDIO USE includes a total of 9 hours:
• Minimal introductory instruction in basic throwing and glazing techniques.
• 3 hours for throwing clay.
• 3 hours for follow–up editing of the thrown pieces.
• 3 hours for glazing pieces after they have been bisque-fired (pieces can be bisque fired by Nathaneal after throwing and assembly has been completed).
• Pieces can be glaze-fired by Nathaneal in the studio’s kiln after glazing.
• Maximum two people per session (there are two throwing wheels).
• COST is $50 per person for the total nine hours and $5 per 10 pounds of clay.
b. INTERMEDIATE OR ADVANCED STUDIO USE includes a total of 9 hours:
• 3 hours for throwing clay.
• 3 hours for follow-up editing of the thrown pieces.
• 3 hours for glazing pieces after they have been bisque-fired (pieces can be bisque-fired by Nathaneal after throwing and assembly has been completed).
• Pieces can be glaze fired in the studio’s kiln by Nathaneal after glazing is completed.
• Maximum two people per session (two throwing wheels available).
• When scheduling sessions, intermediate or advanced users must contact Nathaneal Huffman to discuss details of your desired use of the studio.
• COST: Basic cost is $100 per person for the total nine hours, and $5 per 10 pounds of clay.
(2) CLASSES-BEGINNER. Total of 5 days.
• Maximum two people per class.
• Classes include a total of 5 days of teaching and studio assignments. Each session is a minimum of 3 hours and maximum of 5 hours duration. Sessions will be scheduled at the convenience of the instructor and students, and can be spaced out over time.
• Class sessions include studio safety, demonstrations, throwing clay, and glazing pieces. Instruction will be provided in all the techniques required to produce your own finished pieces of pottery.
• After your pieces are thrown and assembled, they will be fired between classes in the studio’s kiln. This includes a first bisque firing and then a second glaze firing after your pieces are glazed.
• COST: $100 per person for the total 5 days, and $5 per 10 pounds of clay.
Contact Nathaneal Huffman to schedule your class or studio use (phone: 361-813-9478; or email firstname.lastname@example.org)